Monday, April 23, 2012

Flying Pirate Half Marathon

I ran a half marathon with some friends this weekend. It was in the OBX and it was a much different scenery. It turned out to be pouring down rain and I was a little nervous about that since I had only ever trained with a drizzle. But once the race got started it didn't seem to bother me much. The course took you through the back roads of Kitty Hawk, then Kill Devils Hills, then past the Wright Brothers Memorial, on to two miles of a muddy gravel trail, in to the last mile in the woods and up and down hills. It was a very pretty run and challenging since it was raining and the last three miles were off road. I must say all of that made for an adventure and surprisingly a ton of fun, so much so that I want to run this again next year! I even went my best time and came in 9th in my age group, and to top it all off Vince, the boys, and our friends were all there waiting in the pouring rain at the finish line. It was so nice to see their smiles at the end. Flying Pirate 2013, here I come! (rumor has it Vince will be joining me next in the race)

No comments: