Thursday, April 5, 2012

9/11 memorial

I have been wanting to head to the 9/11 since it opened in September. We decided for spring break we would stop by before heading upstate New York. We got our tickets and headed to NYC. We arrived and saw the two massive Freedom Towers they are in the process of building. Even though we had tickets for 12:30, it took over 30 minutes to get through the line and through security.

We made it through the line and to my amazement the memorial was beautiful! There are two reflecting pools where the towers once stood and the names of over 3,000 people that died on September 11th. It was very difficult to see all the names of people that lost their life.

On September 11, 2011 I lost a friend, Thomas J. Ashton. I swam with Tommy for about 8 years, and his older sister was my big sister in high school. I wanted to see Tommy's name on the wall of the reflecting pool. We searched for his name and when we l found it, I was flooded with emotions. As I rubbed my hands over his name, all these memories of Tommy came to me. I was happy that the memorial was so well done, and honored all those that lost their life that day. Rest in peace Tommy, and all those that lost their life that day.
Danilo and I in front of Tommy's name 
One of the freedom towers being built
Reflecting pool in front of museum. 

No comments: